Sunday, September 06, 2009

Bulk buying


From the heavy influence of the Aussie culture, i realized that i have developed the habit of what we all known as the "housewife syndrome" or the "bulk billing" phenomenon. For short --- you can call it "stingy" in a way!
I went shopping yesterday for groceries as per usual and noticed that OMO; one of the most expensive detergent available in Australia, is on clearance sale. "Save 2.77" per box catches my eye straightaway like a diamond attracts a woman. The "housewife syndrome" immediately kicked in and i started to feel excited with blood gushing up to my
brain. Without much considerationg, me and my housemate started to fill our shopping trolley with 4 boxes of the super cheap, cannot find such prices elsewhere of OMO detergent. However, this doesn't really satisfy our "hunger" towards cheap bargains. We noticed that there were somemore boxes available on the top shelf and without fail, we managed to put 8 boxes in our shopping trolley (basically clearning whatever available on the shelf) and walked away happily.
People love cheap bargains, especially housewifes or gals with housewife syndrome (I am one of it). The question is, do we need so much? I admit sometimes i get carried away but till now, my estimation is still quite accurate and haven't had the record of throwing away things that i have bought too much! I knew people who did that though. The wordings "sale" or "buy 2 for the price of 1" and "buy 3 for 5" can be a killer because the irrational bit of the brain takes over and people tends to buy impulsively. Like me, coles is selling Kleenex 2 for $12 yesterday and i've bought 24 toilet rolls in the end. Now my toilet is filled with 8 boxes of omo, >24 rolls of toilet paper, 3 bottels of shampoo and 2 bottles of shower gel. I have enough toilet paper to form a mummy! haha!

No comments: